Thursday, May 19, 2011

Where's the Respect Part 2

This season has been a pretty decent season. I have had a chance to umpire some really good baseball but I have to tell you, I am getting to the point where this isn't fun anymore. The lack of respect towards umpires by coaches, fans and players is amazing. This was stuff that didn't happen 6-7 years ago, let alone when I played.

I'm an umpire. Arguments are part of my job. I understand that they are going to happen. I know I am going to tick some people off and they are going to get in my face from time to time...I'm ok with that. What I am not ok with is the blantent lack of respect for us. I will give you a couple examples. The other night at my complex, a mom followed one of the umpires to his car after the game screaming at him the entire time. I had a kid turn around a tell me I was crazy on a strike three call a week ago. Two nights ago on a play where a kid tagged a player with his glove while he was holding the ball in his throwing hand, a kid threw his glove in the air and yelled, "you have got to be kidding me" Now, I am one who doesn't like to throw players (or anybody to be completely honest with you) out of games. But it has gotten to the point that starting tonight, I am going to warn all the players before the game that this won't be tollerated.

You know, I am making it sound like I work at the worst ballpark in America. I can tell you that I have seen in everywhere. I was in Chicago a few weeks ago and 11 year old kids were yelling at the umpire on the visiting team. A scorekeeper cussed out the umpire after the game. At the fields near my house, I stopped by to talk to someone and I saw three fans ejected from the park in a matter of 10 mintues on three different fields. This is something that has to stop.

I think the problem is that people are forgetting that little league baseball is about getting the kids ready to play high school baseball and to have fun...that's it. It's not about how many games you win, it's not about playing in tournaments all over the country. WHile that stuff is fun, it's not the most important thing and I think that has been lost with parents and it is carrying over to the players.

Anyways, I figure I can get off my soapbox now. Weather permitting, I have two tonight. Hopefully, they are event free.

1 comment:

  1. I just had an umpire yell at a 14 yr old kid, 2 inches from his face like he was going to beat him up because he drew a line with the bat to connect part of the batters box that was scrubbed away. is there a conduct rule for umpires in Little League?

    ReplyDelete