Thursday, September 29, 2011

Quick Tip for the Young Umpire

There are times as an umpire when a coach, player or fan can get you so upset that you actually just want to start screaming at them. Hell, there have been times that I have wanted to haul off and knock their teeth right down their throat. But as an official you need to learn how to rise above that.

When I was 16, I had a game where a coach put his hands on me. It was just a small shove but he still put his hands on me. Every instinct I had told me to shove him back but my partner had grabbed me and told me to walk away. Later, I was talking to my Dad and he told me that it is always best to kill them with kindness. As I have matured as an umpire, I have always rememebered that.

If you ever watch me umpire, I call everyone sir (even 12 year old players). I call the mom's Ma'am if they ask a question. If a coach starts an argument, I still call them sir. If we get into a screaming match with one another, I still call him sir. I know that there are times I am going to have to yell but I always try to be professional.

That is one tip I try to give every young umpire I work with. Sure there are times you are going to have to lay the law down when working a game but never ever lose your professionalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment