Thursday, March 3, 2011

Did you really just say that?

About 5 years ago I was umpiring a Boys 13 select tournamnet game. I was the umpire in chief for the tournament but I had a umpire no show so I had to work the game. I was in the field and one of my middle of the road umpires was behind the plate. He was a decent umpire but his strike zone was rather large...consistent but large.

Anyways, the coach for the home team start making comments after the first inning. He was bad about it, he would just say stuff on his way back to the dugout. He honestly just didn't like the size of the zone. Well as the game went on, he got more and more upset. Mainly because his kids couldn't get the idea in their head that this was going to be the strike zone so you needed to expand your zone.

Around the 5th inning, he walked by and started in on the plate umpire again..as the senior umpire I told him he needed to quit and walk back to his dugout. He started arguing with me and I simply said, you can't argue the strike zone, you said your peace now go back to your dugout. He turned, walked up to me, got right in my face and said, "I poop on that strike zone."

It took me a second but I said, "Excuse me." He repeated himself. I smiled and told him to get back to his dugout. He said it again. I just looked at him. Was he trying to get thrown out of the game?

I told him to please go back to his dugout so I wouldn't have to write in my ejection report that he said I poop on that strike zone. He then yelled, "POOP POOP POOP POOP!!" To which I threw him out.

To this day, I don't know what the guy was on but later in the tournament I had him again and he claimed it never happened and I was talking about another coach. I really hope the parents realized that their kids coach was insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment