Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Get something off my chest

You know there has really been something that has been bothering me this year on the little league level this year. The players have absolutely no respect for the umpires anymore. They argue, they look back, they throw their helmets and just plain act like a bunch of fools and you know the worst part, most of the time the coaches and parents do nothing. Something needs to change.

When I was a kid, I played on the highest level in the county I lived in. It was very competitive but I can tell you, you almost never saw a kid argue with an umpire. It just didn't happen. If it happened, the parents and coaches would be all over the kid and he would mostly likely be benched. Sure, the coaches got into arguments from time to time but even that didn't happen too much.

About two weeks ago, I was umpiring a 12 year old boys game. I struck a kid out on a pitch on the outside corner of the plate. I had called the previous two pitches strikes that were in the exact same spot. He looks back at me and says, "Are you freaking kidding me?" Then he kicks the dirt and walks off. I didn't want to throw a kid out of the game so I walked after him telling the coach that I am warning his bench that I am not going to put up with that. The Coach told me that wasn't my job. Really? Controlling the game isn't my job? Interesting. Now, if that had happened when I played, the umpire wouldn't have had a chance to chase me down because I would have been pulled out of the game right away.

Situations like this have come up all the time this summer and I'm not exactly sure what the answer is (outside of lining all the coaches and parents up and screaming at them). I am pretty thicked skinned but there is something about a 10-14 year old arguing with me that really gets me fired up. My philosophy from here on out will be to not put up with it at all from the kids. Maybe with I chuck a couple, they will calm down.

Anyways, if you have any stories about this or thoughts, please post them. I would love to know that I'm not alone in seeing this change.

No comments:

Post a Comment