Friday, December 4, 2009

Quick Tip of the Day 12/4/2009

Dealing with Fans (Parents)

In my experience, the times I have gotten myself into situations I wish I hadn't on a baseball field, usually had something to do with parents arguing and me not letting it go and getting into an argument with them, not the coach, the people in the stands. This is not a good idea.

I have learned that the best way to deal with angry fans is to go to the coach. In most leagues, there is a line in the rule book that states that the coach in in charge of the fans. The rule makes dealing with these situations very easy. Go tell the coach to calm his fans down. If it doesn't work, remind the coach that he can be ejected for the behavior of his fans. This will usually get his attention and he will quiet them down.

Also, for you younger umpires, remember there is an umpire in chief or a board member on duty that will be more than happy to take care of the situation for you. Program their number in your phone and if the parents are really getting out of control...call them and have it handled, that's why they are there.

The best tip I can give you for dealing with fans is this; They are going to yell, they are going to scream. Ignore it!!! Don't have rabbit ears. Don't give them a reason to become more upset and start yelling more and more. If you have to, talk to the coach or get the umpire in chief but never EVER deal with the fan yourself. That's not part of your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment